It is a 14th century castle near Robertsbridge in East Sussex, England. It was built in 1385 by Sir Edward Dalyngrigge, a former knight of Edward III, with permission from Richard II, ostensibly to defend the area against French invasion during the Hundred Years' War. With a quadrangular plan, Bodiam Castle does not have a keep, having its various chambers built around the external defensive walls and the internal courts. Its corners and entrance are marked by towers and topped by battlements.
WHY THIS PLACE
Its structure, detail and situation in an artificial water landscape indicate that the display was an important aspect of the castle's design as well as the defense. Inside was a vast palatial building, which would be destroyed by parliamentary forces in 1664, of which only traces remain. Inside the walls are the ruins of domestic buildings, which were probably very large. To the right of the rear tower is the Great Hall of the palace.
Most of the castle's interior was destroyed by parliamentary forces during the English Civil War, following their policy of nullifying potentially threatening fortresses. It is a typical castle from the end of the medieval era, in which much attention was paid to the comfort of the living areas, and its value as a military fort is doubtful. When it was built, the first cannons were already in use, but castles still had value as a base for troops, even if they were becoming more vulnerable to direct attack.