Bolton Abbey is named after the ruins of the 12th century Augustinian monastery. The monastery was founded in 1120. As a priory, it was founded in 1154 by the Augustinian order, on the banks of the River Wharfe.
The priory was closed in 1539, during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, ordered by King Henry VIII. In the early 14th century, Scottish invaders caused temporary abandonment of the site, and serious structural damage to the priory. Construction work was still going on at the abbey when the dissolution of the Monasteries resulted in the end of the convent in January 1540.
WHY THIS PLACE
The eastern end remains in ruins. A tower, started in 1520, was left standing, and its base received a bell tower and was converted into an entrance porch. Most of the remaining church is in the Gothic style of architecture, but more work was done in the Victorian era, including the windows of August Pugin. They are exuberant elements that contribute to a wedding of any proportion in truly magnificent conditions.
• Even today it is a functioning priory, holding services on Sundays and religious holidays.
• The Embsay & Bolton Abbey steam railway ends at Bolton Abbey station 2.5 km from Bolton Abbey.