The construction of this site took place between 2900 and 2600 BC, although there are previous buildings, possibly before 3000 BC. A tomb was later built on the site. The remains of the tomb's destruction suggest that the site was out of use between 2000 and 1700 BC. The 13 primary stones form a circle about 13 m in diameter, with an avenue approaching along stones to the north, and shorter stone lines to the east, south and west.
The general plan of the monument recalls a distorted Celtic cross. The individual stones vary between about 1 m and up to 5 m in height, with an average of 4 m, and are from the place. The tallest of the stones marks the entrance to a tomb, where the remains were discovered.
WHY THIS PLACE
Fabulous place, on top of a hill. The stones are beautiful and the state of conservation is incredible. Beautiful, mystical, words simply cannot describe. Incredible engineering work from the Neolithic Period. They have stood the test of time for nearly 5000 years. Touching the stones is like going back in time. It is the second largest circle of stones after Stonehenge. The center of the stone is exactly aligned on the axis between the two north-south poles. The stones were placed in the form of a Celtic cross. The surrounding areas are simply beautiful. Remote and wonderful.
• An excavation campaign between 1980 and 1981 showed that the burial chamber was a late addition to the site, and that it had been modified several times. Pottery remains found suggested the date of 2200 BC for the erection of the circle.
• It is speculated, among other theories, that the stones formed a system calendar based on the position of the Moon. Professor Alexander Thom suggested that the alignment of the stone avenue (when looking south) points to the configuration of the summer solstice moon full behind a distant mountain called Clisham.