The old sugar mill was inaugurated on June 12, 1885 with the presence of the then Minister of Agriculture, and was intended for the manufacture of alcohol. At the time, it stood out for its modern production system, based on the use of steam engines imported from Europe. This system was very different and much more efficient than the traditional one, based on crushing cane in mills.
It was a typical 19th century building, reminiscent of the characteristic architecture of the Industrial Revolution. At the end of the last century, the mill went into decline, as did the sugar industry in Brazil, and is currently in ruins.
WHY THIS PLACE
Located in a strategic position, it allows to reach other relevant tourist points without major displacements, in addition to providing access, through the Bracuhy Marina, to the sea and the wonderful islands of the region. Surrounded by lush vegetation, typical of mangroves, the contrast between the tropical green, the gray of the stones and the orange tones of the bricks, create an incredible picture, ready to be enjoyed in your photographic records and larger parties.
• The place worked as a port of reception for new Africans, even during the illegal period of trafficking, and produced cachaça for barter in the slave trade.
• Recently it was partially renovated by a hotel development, but it is still possible to see the underground ditches and the thick stone walls.
• Rated as historic heritage, the old plant became very famous and visited and became the postcard of Bracuhy.