House of the Tower is a historic building located on Praia do Forte, in the municipality of Mata de São João, in the state of Bahia, in Brazil. Built on an elevation, it was originally named by its owner as Torre Singela de São Pedro. The mansion was built by Garcia D’Ávila from 1551, in the Manueline style, used at that time by the Portuguese in their overseas domains, and strictly complying with the Regiment passed by João III of Portugal.
It is, therefore, a complex that was composed "of houses and defenses, a chapel and a watchful bastion where, in special circumstances, signal fires burned." In stone and lime masonry, it had the function of watching on the one hand backcountry, resisting the attacks of the natives, and on the other the sea, resisting the privateers who then used to make inroads on the coast.
WHY THIS PLACE
A perfect setting for those who value their Brazilian roots and this region that was one of the cradles of our history. A wedding in a place surrounded by extraordinary natural beauty, is worthy of the most passionate couple.
• In the 19th century, during the War of Independence of Brazil (1822-1823), it served as a base for the Liberation Army of Cachoeira, which provided detachments of cariris (indigenous people of the sertão) who fought with tribal weapons: bows and arrows and clubs (clubs) ). At the time, the Empire expressed its gratitude for the important services provided, but with its resources exhausted after the war and the extinction of morgadios in Brazil from 1835, Casa da Torre was progressively abandoned, becoming ruins.
• In 1938, it was listed by the National Historical and Artistic Heritage Institute.