It is the name of an old Jesuit reduction located in Paraguay. Easily accessible, it is practically next to km 31 of Route 6, the road that connects Ciudad del Este to the city of Encarnación. In Paraguay, the Jesuits built eight reductions. Of three of them - La Santísima Trinidad, San Cosme y San Damian and Jesús de Tavarangue - we can still admire the ruins, while in the others there are only museums and / or churches, with the exception of the old Mission of Itapuá, which gave rise to the city of Encarnación .
Built in 1706, the Mission of the Holy Trinity was one of the last missions to be built in the area of the Paraná River, but it prospered quickly and in 1728 it already had a population of 3,000 Guarani Indians.
WHY THIS PLACE
It is the largest and best preserved Guarani reduction in Paraguay and also has the largest church, the imposing Iglesia Mayor, which stands out not only for its size, but also for the details on its walls. There are several figures in Baroque Guarani style, which added to the objects scattered around the church - such as the pulpit, the altar and the angelic statues - make the visitor amazed at the state of preservation of the place. Particularly important is a frieze with images of angels playing musical instruments. The perfect setting to host a wedding of any size.
• It has a large square, Plaza Mayor, where the people of the village met and which is currently a huge lawn, and a Jesuit Museum located in the former sacristy, where some sculptures and a model of the mission are displayed.
• The decline of the Jesuit order caused it to be abandoned and fall into ruins, but it was rediscovered in the 20th century and declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993, in conjunction with the mission of Jesus de Tavarangue.