It is an Art Deco greenhouse located in Forest Park, in the city of St. Louis, Missouri, in the United States. In 1913, Nelson Cunliff became Chief of the Parks and Recreation Division of the city of St. Louis. Due to the high levels of smoke and soot in the city, he began research to determine which plants could survive in such conditions and then asked John Moritz, in charge of the city's greenhouses, to set up a new greenhouse with these species. Its name, Jewel Box, seems to have derived from the comment of someone who compared the structure to "a jewelry box".
In 1933, the new mayor of St. Louis, Bernard Dickmann, decided to build a new facility. The building was designed by William C. E. Becker and cost $ 125,000. Construction began on December 12, 1935 and the inauguration took place on November 14, 1936.
WHY THIS PLACE
In front of the entrance, consisting of a vestibule made of limestone, there is a water mirror and inside the greenhouse there is a balcony with a concrete floor located at the south end, used for events. One of the most popular wedding venues in St. Louis, the Jewel Box can raise the impact of flora on decoration to maximum power.
• In 2002, the Jewel Box reopened after a new eleven-month restructuring that cost $ 3.5 million, including adding air conditioning to increase comfort in the summer months. Composed of 1,548 square meters of laminated glass, divided into more than 4,000 panels, inserted in wrought iron supports, the Jewel Box is supported by eight fixed arches, which carry the entire weight of the structure.
• Currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.