It is a complex in Koknese, Latvia, which dates back to the 13th century. In 1209, Bishop Alberto de Riga ordered the construction of a stone castle on the site, calling it Kokenhusen.
In the first 50 years of its existence, Koknese was used only as a strong defensive, but in 1277, Koknese had enough population to receive the rights of the city. Koknese also became a member of the Hanseatic League thanks to its strategic location on the Daugava trade route.
The castle was strongly contested among Polish, Swedish and Russian forces in the 16th and 17th centuries. He changed hands many times, while the native inhabitants endured periodic slaughter, capture and starvation.
WHY THIS PLACE
Reflecting in one of the Scottish Lochs, with the Highlands as a backdrop, this Castle has a fabulous background for a ceremony that could begin on the water.
• In 1701, during the Great Northern War, Koknese was finally blown up by retreating forces to prevent the strategic castle from falling into advanced Russian hands. The castle was never rebuilt and fell into ruins.
• The castle was situated on a high cliff overlooking the Daugava river valley. In 1965, a hydroelectric dam was built downstream, creating a reservoir that partially submerged the castle and flooded the surrounding valley.