It is a ruined castle located in the town of Leamaneh North, on the border of the region known as the Burren, in County Clare, Ireland. It comprises a 15th-century tower house (stone structure built as a dwelling, but also for defensive purposes) and a 17th-century mansion. The castle's name is believed to be derived from the Irish léimanéich which, translated into English, means "the leap of the horse", or from the expression léim um fheidh ("the leap of the deer").
WHY THIS PLACE
The castle is located at an important crossroads where the Baronies of Burren, Corcomroe and Inchiquin used to be. The castle was originally a basic 5-story Irish tower house, built around 1480-90 probably by Toirdelbhach Donn Mac Tadhg Ó Briain of the O'Brien family, one of the last High Kings of Ireland. In the following centuries it had several other occupants. Around 1648 part of the tower house was demolished and replaced by a 4-storey mansion, which fell into disrepair at the end of the 18th century.
Today, the ruins include both the tower house - characterized by crevices through which archers shot their arrows - and the four walls of the adjacent mansion with its barred windows wedged between beams. These windows have a Trompe-l'oeil effect: as those on the upper floors are smaller, they create an illusion of greater height. Some of the remains of the outbuildings and walls that delimited the gardens and the deer park can still be seen.