This Palace, located in Lisbon, Portugal, was built between 1671 and 1672 as a hunting lodge for João Mascarenhas, first Marquis of Fronteira. It occupies a quiet place, on the edge of the Monsanto Forest Park. The Battle Room has beautiful panels with scenes from the War of the Restoration (1640-1668), during which Dom João de Mascarenhas fought against the Spanish. It was his loyalty to Dom Pedro II during that conflict that earned him the title of Marquis of Fronteira. The Dining Room is decorated with Dutch tiles and portraits of the Portuguese nobility. The Sala de Juno or Sala Império is decorated with frescoes and portraits of the Portuguese nobility, by artists such as Domingos Antônio de Sequeira.
WHY THIS PLACE
Despite being a still inhabited place, some of the rooms and gardens can be visited and also rented for events and weddings. The sumptuous décor of the interiors and the beauty of the exterior spaces, with the vibrant red of the facade, the delicate blue tones of the tile panels and the green of the Gardens, whose elaborate landscaping is impeccably preserved, make this Palace the ideal setting for a wedding luxurious.
The Chapel's facade, which dates back to the end of the 16th century and was renovated in the 18th century, is adorned with stones, shells and remains of crystals and porcelain. It is said that the crystal glasses and plates of the palace's opening banquet were broken so that no one would use the pieces used on that occasion by the future King Dom Pedro again. On the terrace of the Chapel there are niches covered with tiles, decorated with figures that embody the arts and mythological figures. In the gardens there are tile panels that represent the country customs of each season. Other panels, with images of noble knights of the family, are reflected in the waters of a large tank and beside the main garden there are two staircases that lead to a gallery with decorative niches containing busts of Portuguese kings.