It is located on the northwest tip of Tinharé Island (on the coast of the Brazilian state of Bahia), in the district of Cairu. Construction work began in 1630, using stones and whale oil. Strictly speaking, it is not a single fortification, but a set of batteries and forts that in the 17th century, due to their strategic location, constituted the largest defensive system in the country and were the scene of numerous battles and conflicts in defense of the Bay of All Saints.
WHY THIS PLACE
At the beginning of its 678 meters of extension there is an entrance portico, which nowadays is an obligatory passage for tourists arriving in Morro de São Paulo by sea. Although records of repair work between 1699 and 1704 have been found, both this Portico and the New Forte da Ponta were built only in 1728 by Dom Vasco Fernandes César de Meneses, Count of Sabugosa. In the context of the Brazilian War of Independence, Admiral Cochrane's fleet was anchored under its walls in 1823. Later, in 1859, it housed Emperor D. Pedro II, who recorded the visit in his travel diary.
It attracted attention again in the 1970s, with the rediscovery of the town by the hippie movement, and today it is the point on the island where locals and tourists meet in the late afternoon to watch a beautiful sunset and, eventually, also admire the dolphins giving shows of acrobatics and jumps.