Located on the premises of the Santa Cruz Air Base (Brazilian Air Force unit), in the Santa Cruz neighborhood, on the west side of the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, this large hangar (274 meters long, 58 meters high and 58 meters wide) was intended to house the German airships known as Zeppelins.
The first transatlantic airship trip between Germany and South America was recorded in May 1930. After this successful inaugural trip, the Zeppelins made three more trips to Brazil in 1931 and nine in 1932. Due to this success, its manufacturer, the German company Luftschiffbau-Zeppelin GmbH, obtained authorization from the Brazilian government to build an airport.
With the LZ 129 Hindenburg tragedy in 1937 and the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, the former Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport was transformed into the Santa Cruz Air Base in 1941, and the hangar began to house the various military air units that they have settled there over the years.
WHY THIS PLACE
Particularly attractive for aviation enthusiasts, this place is also a good choice for those looking for a scenario of really imposing dimensions in their wedding. It is currently one of the last existing airship hangars and one of the best maintained in the world.
• After meticulous studies on climate, wind direction and speed and also on the possibilities of means of land transportation, the area where he is currently located was chosen. Two hundred men - workers called spiders - were needed to dock the airships that landed on the airport runway.
• In the context of World War II, it was used as an air base for the Blimps of North American naval aviation (US Navy), which patrolled the Brazilian coast.
• It is listed by the National Historical and Artistic Heritage Institute (IPHAN).